George Rogers Howell, Early History of Southampton, L.I. (1887), pp. 159-163 & 186-191
(Users note that this document may be searched by using the Search Records-> Search Site Text feature on this site.)
Page 159 The Settlers
up by the sons of the first settlers. It is in the parish of Southampton village. It maintains a prosperous district school and has a population of nearly 200.
This village was settled as before stated about 1660. The earliest settlers were Josiah Stanborough, John and Elnathan Topping, Henry Pierson, Christopher Learning and Rev. Ebenezer White. Theophilus, son of Major John Howell, settled here quite early on land now occupied by Gr. Clarence Topping. Daniel Hedges came here about 1702 from East Hampton and was the progenitor of those of the name in Southampton.
Among the oldest epitaphs in the village burying ground are the following :
" Here lyes buried the body of Theophilus Howell, Esq. Aged 77 years ; deceased March the 12, 1739."
"Coll. Henry Peirson deceased November the 15 in the 50 year of his age. 1701."
"Mr. Peregrine Stanborough, Deacon in the Parish. Departed this life Jan. the 4, 1701, in the 62 year of his age."
"Here lies the Body of Captain Elnathan Topping, who departed this life March the 26 anno Domini 1705, aged 64 years."
" Here lieth the Body of John Topping, Justice of the Peace, aged fifty years, who departed this life in the 29 day of May in the year 1686."
" Here was layed the body of Mr. Nathaniel Uusco, who dyed Avgvst the 21st Anno 1714, in the 67 year of his age."
Isaac Jessup settled here in 1712. His homestead continued in this family till about 1800, when Silas Jessup sold it to Jeremiah Osborn and after the death of his son Judge ¦ John S. Osborn it was sold to David Wiggins. A fulling mill was built here about 1690 by John Parker and in 1718 was owned by Jonah Rogers. The place is now well known from the fine trout ponds stocked and owned by G-. W. Thompson.
This is on a peninsula between the Shinnecock and Peconic bays, called Niamuck by the Indians, and Canoe Place by the
page 160 History of Southampton.
settlers from the fact that canoes were drawn here from one bay to another by the Indians. The present hotel property was sold by the trustees of the proprietors in 1739 to Jeremiah Culver. Until the revolution his house was the only habitation between Riverhead and Southampton. From the revolution to the present day the successive owners have been Major George Herrick, John Howell, grandfather of Charles Howell late of Ketchabonuck, George Seaman and Israel Conkling.
This is a small hamlet near Peconic bay north of Good Ground. The first settler was Ellis Squires who came from East Hampton.
This thriving village has sprung up since 1800. It contains a Methodist church built in 1863 and a school-house. It is so named from the fact that it is an oasis amid the barren pine lands that surround it.
Ponquogue, formerly Paugonquogue.
This is a small hamlet on the Shinnecock bay and has a fine light-house erected in 1857. The Bay View Hotel erected here in 1875 is a large structure and attractive to sportsmen on account of abundant game in the vicinity.
Formerly Fourth Neck contained in 1880 a population of 267. It has a small Methodist church and a school-house. The creek on the east called by the Indians Achabacawesuck has been abbreviated to Weesuck by the later inhabitants. A large boarding-house frequented by sportsmen is located on Tiana bay, owned by Benjamin F. Squires.
This neck of fertile land was known as Quaquanantuck by the Indians, but as life was too short to grapple with the polysyllabic names of the aborigines, it soon dwindled to Quaqua and finally
page 161 The Settlers
"to Quogue, its present appellation. Settlements began here abont 1740 by the Cooks, Fosters, Howells and Posts from Southampton. Among the epitaphs of the old burying ground we give the following : *
"Here lies the body of Jonathan Cook, who departed this life March 7,1754, aged 54 years."
" In memory of Elizabeth, wife of John Foster, who departed this life the 18th of March 1773, in the 78th year of her age."
" In memory of Mr. Elisha Howell, who died Sept. 7, 1777, in the 73d year¦of his age.
" In memory of Abigail, wife of Gapt. John Post, who died March, 17, 1772,in the 67 year of her age."
[Capt. John Post, the first settler here, died Jan. 3, 1792, aged 92.]
" In memory of Mr. Nathan Herrick, who died March 24 A. D. 1783, in the 83d year of his age."
This village has now numerous large boarding-houses and is a favorite summer resort as the neck of land extends down to the shores of the ocean with Shinnecoek bay on the east and Quantuck bay on the west.
This is a small village between Aspatuck and Quantuck rivers, on land formerly called Little Assup's Neck. Here stands the Presbyterian church of the parish of West Hampton and Quogue where Rev. ¥m. B. Reeves, M. D., after preaching twenty years as stated supply was finally installed as pastor in 1875.
This is a district with farm houses scattered here and there, lying next west and north-west of Quogue. Jonathan Raynor was probably the first white resident, having a homestead here in 1738 ; now occupied by Elisha Raynor. In this locality the late Governor John A. Dix had a country seat and near this was the summer house of Joseph Alden, D. D., ex-president of the State Normal School at Albany. Mr. Mortimer D. Howell has a large boarding-house ; has for several years been a popular summer resort for people of the city.
* W. S. Pelletreau, to whom we are indebted for many facts in this sketch of the villages.
page 162 History of Southampton.
Onuck and Potunk.
These are two necks of land west of Ketchabonack. Onu ck or Wonunk was as early as 1738 occupied by Isaac Halsey, and is still the residence of his descendants. Potunk was settled some time previous to the revolution and one of the first to move here was John Jessup, whose homestead was occupied by his grandson Deacon John S. Jessup who but a few years ago full of honors for a life of integrity went over to the majority.
There is no one village of this name at present, but it is the name of a station on the Long Island railroad and also is applied as a name to all that district generally between Quogue and Speonk.
A grist mill was built here on the mill stream as early as 1748. "Before the mill-dams were built on Beaverdam and Speonk rivers the old country road crossed these streams near their heads, and it is supposed, at the same places the Indians had their crossings. After the dams were built the roads were turned so as to
cross them. At the old road, some distance north of the mill at Beaverdam, is the corner between the ' Upper Division ' and the ' Last Division ' in Quogue purchase. A line running from the center of the dam to the bridge at Piverhead separates Quogue and Topping's purchases, and this dam is also the corner of the ' Speonk Division,' and ' Last Division ' in the latter." *
A Presbyterian church was erected here somewhat previous to 1758. Among the old monuments in the burying ground are the following :
" In memory of Stephen Jagger Esq., who died April 10 1796 in the 77th year of his age."
" In memory of Ephraim Halsey, who died August 20th 1764, aged 71 years.''
*' In memory of Cornelius Halsey, who died April 19, 1782, in the 61 year of his age."
* W. S. Pelletreau.
page 163 The Settlers
The people of West Hampton have honored themselves in erecting a monument to the memory of the soldiers from that neighborhood whose lives were sacrificed in the slaveholders' rebellion. It is of brown stone, about sixteen feet high and has the following inscriptions :
'¦ West Hampton's tribute to the patriotism and bravery of her sons who in the war ior the preservation of the Union heroically fought and honorably fell."
" Capt. Franklin B. Hallock, Serg't Cyrus D. Tuthill, Corp. Hiram A. Wines, Reeves H. Havens, Timothy W. Robinson, Thomas M. Smith, Edward Stephens, James E. Griffing, Henry S. Raynor."
This village was settled about 1740 and the earliest settlers were Abraham Halsey (son of Thomas, son of Thomas the first of the name in Southampton), John and James Tuthill, Joseph Rogers, from Bridgehampton 1760, and the Phillips family, consisting of four brothers, William, Josiah, Joseph and Moses, from Brookhaven in 1757. The village has a Methodist church and schoolhouse and the population in 1880 was 196.
The westernmost village on the south shore of the town is. Waterville, formerly Seatuk. It has a population of about 200- engaged in farming and fishing.
This is a small settlement in the north-west section of the town near Riverhead. The first house was erected here about 1770 by Josiah Goodale. Families of Squires and Fanning came soon after. The population is 126.
(Note: pages 164 - 184 omitted from this section)
page 185 Early Customs.
John Jagger, Mr. Laughton, William Russell, Eobert Woolley, Mr. Hampton, Joshua Barnes, John Bishop, Daniel Sayre, Francis Sayre, Arthur Howell.
John Eose, Christopher Lupton, Eichard Smith, George Harris, Mr. Scott, Samuel Clarke, Thomas Shaw, Ben. Haines, Mr. Jennings, John Davis.
It will be noticed that these squadrons of 1667 are formed of men in order of their residences. Beginning at the south end of the town, the first squadron embraces all the men as far as the old house lot next south of the residence of Barney Green. The second squadron includes the men who lived thence northward to the present residence of Mr. Henry Post. The third includes the men who lived northward to Job's lane. The fourth thence northward to Huntting's lane. The fifth embraced all who dwelt north of this lane. The sixth embraced all the North Sea men.
It was customary, later, to fit out expeditions of several whale boats and cruise along the coast in the whaling season and camp out during the night. These expeditions did not usually consume more than a week or two on any one voyage. Indians were often employed by the whites on these expeditions) the latter furnishing boats and whaling gear, and the former receiving a certain proportion of the oil for their services.
The following order is suggestive of the bountiful provisions of nature, ere man had thinned her exuberant resources :
" Feb. 9th, 1645. Yt is ordered by the General Court that yf by the province of God, there shall bee henceforth cast up within the limits of this towne of Southampton any whale or whales, or any part or piece of a whale, that noe man shall presume to take or carry any part thereof, upon the forfeiture of twentie shillings and to stand to the further censure of the Cort, without order from the Magistrate or Magistrates. And whosoever shall finde or espie eyther whale or whales or any part or peece of a whale, cast up, upon notice given unto the Magistrate or Magistrates, shall have for his paynes allowed unto him five shillings, but yf 24
page 186 History of Southampton.
yt shall be by the Magistrate or whom he shall appoint, adjudged not to be worth five shillings, then the sayd parties which shall give information, shall have yt for his paynes. And that from yeare to yeare the Marshall give notice after any form or according to his discretion, unto two persons in whose ward by turne yt shall belong or appertaine. And yt is further ordered that yf any shall finde a whale or any peece thereof upon the Lord's day then the aforesaid shillings shall not be due or payable."*
The officers of three militia companies in the town in 1732-3 as ascertained from the records at Albany were as follows :
Southampton village, 1st comp., John Post, captain ; Ephraim White, lieut.; Obadiah Rogers, Jr., ensign. South comp., John Howell, capt.; Hezekiah Howell, lieut.; Stephen Herrick, ensign.
Bridge Hampton, Stephen Topping, capt.; Ezekiel Sandford, lieut.; Josiah Topping, ensign.
These are numerous and indicate a rapid colonizing of the inhabitants over the territory embraced in the town. There are two in the village ; two at North Sea, one at Wickapogue, one at Watermill, two at Mecox, two in Sagg, two in Bridge Hampton, one at Scuttle Hole, and others west of the village of Southampton. Of these the oldest is that known as the South end burying ground, in the village of Southampton, the earliest record concerning which is as follows :
" January 5th, 1665. The overseers have agreed with James Herrick that hee shall have one acre of land at the reare of his home lott in consideration of a foot way for people upon his lott to the burying place where the towne have one acre for that use, & James Herrick is to have the herbidge of it.''
The earliest graves here have no stones to mark them, unless they have fallen and been covered by the soil and overgrowing vegetation, — there is not a monument, indeed, to mark the spot where a single one of the first settlers was buried. The graves of their children, the men of the second generation, however, are marked with tombstones still standing.
*This last clause appears to be a very shrewd thrust at "mooning 11 on the beach on Sundays.
page 187 Early Customs.
Three different varieties of stone were used — the hlne slate, so common in the old cemeteries of New England, a red sandstone that quite well withstands the ravages of time, and a gray sandstone, which, on the contrary, very poorly preserves its original inscriptions, Most of the graves have now become level with the ground, and many of the monuments covered with masses.
The inscriptions even of some are fast becoming illegible, so that it seems a work of charity to preserve here the remembrance of our ancesters for future generations. The following are copies of the inscriptions of all the stones that are visible in the older portion of the yard. Those marked with a * have, in addition to the epitaph, the family arms engraved upon them. Some are surmounted with the conventional cherub of the old graveyards, and others by skull and cross-bones :
" Here lyes ye reverent Joseph Whiting who died April 7 1723 in ye 82nd year of his age.
" Here lyes the body of Mrs Eebecca Whiting, wife to Mr Joseph Whiting aged 63 years 2 months deceased April 21st, 1726.
" * Here Lyeth the body of Coll Matthew Howell, and one of the House of Representatives for their Majesties province of New York. Deceased May the 4th Anno 1706 Etas-sua-55.
" Here lies the body of Mr Samuel Whiting who died July ye 12th 1729 in ye 40th year of his age.
— " Here lies the body of Abigail Halsey aged 26 years who died the 10th of October 1696.
-^ " Here lyes Buried ye- body of Mrs Hannah Halsey, wife to Capt Isaac Halsey who died Augst 29th Anno Domini 1723 aged 62 years.
— " In memory of Capt Isaac Halsey who died May ye 18th A. D. 1757 in ye 97th year of his age.
~-" Here lyeth the body of Timothy Halsey who dyed July the 12th 1723 about 20 year of his age.
" Here lyeth the body of Robert Patton which deceased on the 12th day of May 1700. * * ¦*
" Here lyeth buried the body of Capt Thomas Stephens aged about 51 years. Departed this life November ye 26th 1701.
" Here lyes ye body of Sarah Malbey daughter Mr John and
page 188 History of Southampton.
Mrs Susanna Malbey who deed September ye 8th 1723 in ye 19th year of her age.
"Here lies Interred the body of Mr John Mai by who died June 27th 1706 aged 33 years.
" Here lyeth the body of Bethia Coper wife of Mr * * * Coper who died January the 14th Anno 1716-17 Etas-sua- 27.
" Here lies buried the body of Mrs Mehetable Herrick who deed July 17th 1734 aged 60 years.
"*Here lies ye body of Mr William Herrick Esqr who departed this life August the 19th Anno 1708 Etas-sua-54.
" Here lyes ye body of Susannah Howell aged 83 years. Died March ye 24th 1711.
" * 1696 Here lies the body of Major John Howell deceased November aged 71.
" Here lies interred ye body of ye reverend Mr John Tailor who died August ye 10 1701 aged 23 t years.
" * 1692 Mr John Howell aged 44 years and dyed in March the 8th.
" In memory of Lieut. Hezekiah Howell died Dec. ye 4th 1744 in the 68 th year of his age.
" Daniel Foster deed Nov ye 5th 1744 aged 68 years. Phil. 1st : 21st.
" Interred here lyes the blessed Bemains Of one who did with Freedom die,
To be relieved from all his pains, And dwell with God Eternally.
" Here Lyes burie"d ye body of Mrs Phebe Howell wife of Lieut. Hezekiah Howell who died July 16th Anno Domini 1732
ae;ed 62 years.
" Here was layed the body of Mr Thomas Sayre who dyed December the 10th Anno 1715, in the 49th year of his age.
" Here lyes ye body of Reverend Joseph Taylor aged 31 who deceased April 4th 1682.
"Here lyeth buried ye body of Abigill Howell ye wife of Abraham Howell aged 27 years, deceased ye 19th of June 1688.
" Here lyeth ye body of William Ludlam son of Anthony Ludlam who died Aprill 27 1716 in ye 13th year of his age.
page 189 Hablt Customs
" Here lies buried the body of Mr Obadiah Rogers who deed May ye 8th 1729 aged 74 years.
" In memory of Capt Obadiah Rogers who died Oct 31st 1783 in the 84th year of his age.
" In memory of Mrs Abigail wife of Capt Obadiah Rogers who died May 6th 1782 in the 80th year of her age.
" Beneath this stone Death's prisoner lies, The stone shall move, the prisoner rise
When Jesus with Almighty word Calls his dead saint to meet *his Lord.
"Here lyeth the body of Capt John Cooper who dyed December the 14th Anno 1715 in the 30th year of his age.
" In memory of John Howell Esq died December 23 1747 in ye 71st year of his age.
"Here * * * of Ann Howell wife to * * * Howell * * * 44 year of her age. deceased May ye 17 1714."
To these we may add the inscriptions on a few stones found in the lot of Mr. Hedges Sanford, of Watermill.
" Here lyes buried the Body of Mr David Halsey. Died ffeb. ye 18 1731 in ye 69th yeare of his age.
" Here lyes the Body of Mrs Temperrence Cook wife to Mr Ellis Cook who deced Dec. 9 1723 in ye 19th year of her age.
" Here lyes ye Body of Mrs Temperence Ludlam wife to Mr
Jeremiah Ludlam who deced April ye 21st 1726 in ye 29th year of her age."
The two following are given with no other apology than their beauty — the one expressing a noble tribute to the virtues of a wife and mother, the other a pious wish which has come down to us from a still greater antiquity. The first is taken from the North-end burying ground of Southampton, the second was found in the catacombs of Rome.
" In memory of Amy wife of Zebulun Howell Esq who died Dec 15 1752 in the 59th year of her age.
" She was a faithful wife and good mother."
The pious wish engraved on the Roman Christian's monument is, " Qui legerit, vivat in Christo."
page 190 History of Southampton.
The Cobb or Wickapogue Burying Ground.
The only record of this is as follows :
" 1686 April 1st At a town meeting, it was granted to the inhabitants of Cobb to have 6 poles square of land for a burying ground."
This cemetery lies about equally distant from Cobb and Wickapogue. It is, like all the others in the village, inclosed, and contains some old monuments.
Mecox Burying Ground.
This contains a few monuments to the men of the second generation and in antiquity ranks next to the old one in Southampton village. Many of the stones are doubtless overthrown and covered with soil and vegetation. Among the oldest monuments yet standing, are the following :
" Here Lyeth the Body of Anthony Ludlam who dyed March the 17th Anno 1681 in the 31st year of his age.
" Here lies the body of Lemu'el Howell who died September the 22 (?) 1712 aged 35 years.
" Here Lyeth the Body of Ellis Cook who departed this life November the 10th Anno 1706 aetatis 44."
Sagg Burying Ground.
The cemetery in Sagg Street, south, is quite ancient, and is kept with commendable care. Among the oldest stones are the following :
" Here lyes buried the body of Theophilus Howell Esq aged 77 years. Deced March ye 12th 1732.
" In memory of Mrs Martha the wife of Mr Lemuel Peirson who died Augst the 26th 1753 in the 72th year of her age.
" My sun is set,
My Glass is run,
My Candle's out,
My work is done "
North End Burying Ground.
This lot now used for a cemetery was originally laid out as a homestead. Its first owner was "William Russell who sold the same to Obadiah Sale, and he moving to Boston, sold it to George
Eaely Customs. 191
Heathcote. Dec. 13, 1712, Caleb Heathcote, cousin of George, sells his home lot and house (4 acres), between Jeremiah Jagger on the south, and John Laughton on the north, for £20 to the trustees of the town. The deed of sale states that part of this land northward and eastward, shall be common to the town for a highway to North Sea. This is where the road now runs.
The first interment in this ground, however, was not till 1721, as appears from an old stone on the south side with the following inscription :
"HE ARE LYES | ye BoDY OF IoSEPH | PoST DEseased | io November | aged aboVT 1 72 1721."
Upon the foot stone of this grave is the following :
" PoST IoSEPH I THE FIRST | ENTARED IN THIS I PLAS."
Wolves. — 1652. It appears from various records, that wolves
must have been sufficiently numerous in the early times to cause
The following records show what means were employed to
abate the nuisance :
"March 3rd, 1651. (1651-2.) It is ordered by the Generall Court that in consideration of Robert Merwin his care and paynes about killing of Wolves by setting of guns and watching or otherwise hee shall haue 30 shilling per Wolfe for every one it appeares hee killeth, provided that if any beast bee killed in probability by the Wolves and hee the said Robert haue notice thereof, that he repaire vnto the place where the beast is slaine whether at Mecocks Sagabonack or elsewhere within such a compass, and vse his best endeavour to kill the said destroyer, allsoe if it happen at any time he the said Robert bee warned to any court or meeting during the time hee is vppon the foresaid designe that hee shall bee discharged and acquitted from such said meeting, hee is not to sett his gun within half a mile of the towne, and if his gun kill any beast he shall do his best to finde it, and the whole towne to beare the losse.
" 1652. Oct. 6th, 1652. It is ordered that whosoever makes